Nail polish is a mainstay in every beauty girl’s stash, but what do we really know when it comes to the polish? Turns out there’s much more to lacquer than we think! Let’s discover how to maximize your nail polish and get the most out of every use with the surprising tidbits below.
1. It’s not just for your nails: Surprise! You can use clear polish for everything from fixing running tights to coating inexpensive jewelry to prevent rusting.
2. You can be allergic to nail polish: We definitely knew it was possible to be obsessed with nail polish, but allergic? One of the main ingredients is formaldehyde, which happens to be an irritant. But to save you from worries, there are some brands, like Revlon, L’Oreal, that have created polish for nail junkies with sensitive skin.
3. Your nail polish color isn’t a “random” choice: Color and human emotions are absolutely linked, whether you realize it or not. Even though we think we choose our nail polish colors at random, studies show that color preferences are usually a result of the relationship between unrelated items that are subconsciously stored in our memories. So, the next time you pick a shade for your manicure, chances are it means a lot more than you think.
4. It’s not just about color, though: Have you ever considered that maybe your polish could be doing more than just making your fingers look pretty? Some brands make polishes that contain protein peptides and vitamins which not only moisturize your nails, but also protect them from aging.
5. You should store your polish in the fridge: Because it increases the shelf life of polish. But make sure you store it upright to avoid spilling.
6. A smudge free manicure is possible: There’s nothing more frustrating than smudging your newly manicured nails. The most effective product may be right in your kitchen. Cooking spray contains a propellant, which evaporates quickly and helps dry nails faster.
7. You always need a base and a top coat: Sometimes we get lazy and decide to skip a top or base coat and go straight to polish. A top and base coat are each essential to your manicure, and can make or break whether your nails get stained or your polish chips.
8. Darker nail polish peels faster: We’re suckers for dark polish, but due to higher pigmentation, darker polishes chip faster. For a long lasting look, try lighter strokes when applying your darker colors.
9. You need to take a breather: Even though you may feel naked without your nails polished, take a three day break every three weeks to keep your nails healthy.